The government has a set of guidelines that need to be followed for passport photo to be officially valid. Make sure your passport photos meet the government's guidelines. You can also read our summary of these in the FAQ area and other tips down below.
- 35 mm wide by 45 mm high - the standard UK passport photo size
- printed on glossy finish on high-quality photographic paper
- use 8 different or 8 identical photos
You might also like the following
FAQ - Most common questions >>>
What our customers say about us...
Design your custom passport photos
Passport photos: not only for passport application
- since you only need 2 identical photos for renewal, you can add snaps of your family members to the other 6 photo frames of the passport photo template. Carry these prints later in your wallet or use them for a DIY project with kids
- ensure to edit the photos so that the colours are bright enough and the head position is just as required for the biometric passport - before you submit your order with us
How to order passport photos online
At Pixum, you can quickly and easily order passport photos online. Read here how it works:
- load the Online Designer and upload your photos
- add the pictures to each of the 8 frames per drag & drop. Customize them to your liking - edit colours, crop, etc.
- as soon as you are satisfied with the draft, simply add them into the shopping cart and submit the order!
What passport photos are acceptable?
- only use a non-blurry colour picture with a plain white, cream or light grey background
- there shouldn't be any shadows or other objects in the background. No fancy patterns!
- you must be facing forward with a close-up of your full head and the upper shoulders
- have a neutral facial expression with your mouth closed and eyes clearly open. Wear glasses? Watch out for glare! You might want to switch off the flash on your camera
- don't wear any hats or other head covering, unless it's for religious or medical reasons
Perfect if you need to get or renew a child passport
The guidelines and rules above are also valid for babies and children. Of course, there are some small exceptions, but the subject needs to be in the photo by themselves, no matter their age. Otherwise, please consider the following:
- you don't have to force the children under 6 years old to have a neutral face expression
- babies should be laid onto plain coloured cloth and the photos should then be taken from above. No toys are allowed to be seen on the passport picture